Friday, June 18, 2010

What's in a name? Information.

Where I come from, this would be called a stink bug.





Here in Austin, however, I always hear them referred to as 'leaf footed bugs'.
Technically both are correct. 
Although it's not a true "stink bug", these leaf-footed fellows can emit a foul odor when handled. In other words, they can stink. Yuck. Why on earth wouldn't you keep that information in the name? Selling this thing as leaf-footed really doesn't give one the heebie-jeebies it should.

I watched this particular one crawl around on one of my newly planted succulent pots. It was an incredible irritation since I politely removed him 3 or 4 times today alone.


The trouble is I don't see them until my face is just a little too close.  Makes me jump every single time!  At least this time I had my camera. I found myself a little too nervous to put my camera directly in his face so close up...so...sides and backsides it is!  It'll be like a whole new world when[ever] I get a new camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment