Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Make your own fireworks!

Well, not exactly make...but you can grow your own "Mexican Firecrackers" [echeveria setosa].


I was curious about the name when I acquired this plant, having not seen one bloom before. I get it now, although the name is a tad misleading, as this is about how far the flowers open.  Long lasting and showy though, which this lady likes.


It's a fuzzy type of succulent, which means it's not terribly cold hardy. Probably no lower than the 40s.  It seems most fuzzies are that way. I have a cotyledon that I adore, but the same is true for him.  Gotta love the look [and feel] of the fuzz though, right?



Although on the frost tender side, it does love the warm weather & sunshine.  My plant is on its second round of blooms for the season and I am proud.  They are susceptible to root rot and don't like being watered from above, and I was worried I over watered mine in the beginning...but all seems well in firecracker land.

No comments:

Post a Comment