Thursday, May 27, 2010

My yard has a few trapdoors, apparently

During some recent digging, this fella turned up.  Although he didn't move a muscle upon his excavation, I moved several! What a sight! He is nearly the size of the palm of my hand. He definitely gave a creepy vibe, but the lack of movement was puzzling. Upon further investigation, I discovered it was a trapdoor spider. Pretty cool after all.  And our hunch was right, he is nocturnal. Hence the no daytime movement...we awoke him from his slumber!

Since we had allowed him to be our excuse to stop for the day, we returned boldly the next day with shovels in hand and sweat-bands in place.  And to our delight, only one more spider was found, and he was a fraction of the size of the previous one. With a quick flick of my spade shovel, I relocated him under the shed. This one moved quite a bit to be so sleepy!  No matter...decking is being built over that spot so we won't have to dig and see if anything else could be happily sleeping away the day in the dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment