Saturday, May 29, 2010

Fascinating Haworthia Fasciata


Not a new one to my collection, this Haworthia Fasciata (commonly called "zebra plant") is finally blooming! Oddly enough it only started to perform when moved into a sunnier part of the yard. Most experts recommend part shade/shade or indoors for zebra haworthias...and although it does great indoors in a window sill, mine is loving the attention of the actual sun out in the yard.  All the tips that were dried/dying are full and vibrant. It gets great shots of soft to harsh sun but receives nice filtered shade and then shade by early afternoon. And to be clear, it started shooting up its stalk back in April, and took about two weeks for the first flower to bloom..which I believe was around May 10.

The bloom stalk started as nearly non-impressive. In fact, this is the first shot of it I got. Who knows how long it was actually out without being noticed.


While the stem grew, it left behind little bumps that would eventually become its flowers. And they bloom in proper order, oldest to newest; one a day.

  I wasn't sure what to expect and was astounded when it grew to a final length of over a foot! And to my surprise the petals of the flowers are striped too!  


I love love love this plant. Its bumpy white "stripes" are fascinating to me. I admire this one from afar in my yard, and it makes me happy to be able to see it close up and in bloom. (It's also a favorite of the Mr. so I'll keep it around as long as I can)





No comments:

Post a Comment